Sunday, June 03, 2007








The Sydney Writers festival held several hundred events the past 7 days throughout Sydney and New South Wales. I only attended the closing address of Ayaan Hirsi Ali, but wish I had maybe attended others. She quoted one of her colleagues in her opening about the power of books. And continued about the book which plays such a huge part in her life. The Quran. I have read her autobiography Infidel the past few weeks and was captivated by her openness in sharing her troubled youth and escape to the West. I had 'heard' of her when she became a politician back in the Netherlands, but only really after Theo van Gogh's horrible murder who Ayaan collaborated with for the Submission movie. It felt like a thriomph to hear her address, with so many people attending and before she had spoken a word welcoming her with a huge applause. To fear for your life fighting a cause that helps others is an incredible price, but one she seems determined to continue to make.




There was quite a lot of security, something the Australians aren't used to either I think. Not even the security staff, as they seemed to enjoy the radio / ear pieces they had and joked around. It almost made me angry they didnt take their job serious. No waterbottles or pens allowed in the room where Ayaan signed her books, and a couple of really big body guards watching our every move. But we got to speak to her - in DUTCH - which was really nice. She asked if we were living here, and wondered if I was going back to Holland or stay in Australia. I said I hoped she would enjoy her stay here, despite the stir her visit was making.



No comments: