Friday, March 09, 2007

Dancing Nancies.........

I wonder whats behind Dave Matthews Band song - Dancing nancies... I have listened to it on my MP3 player this week and it instantly lifted me up, cheered me up, made me want to dance with my umbrella... (yes it rained) and sing along in public... I restrained myself to some less annoying sound effects.....

Well I just googled it....here you go;

Song meaning 1) Dancing nancies

Inspired during a trip to Zimbabwe, Dave (leadsinger) found himself in the middle of nowhere and devised the song. A Dancing Nancie (or more accurately Nancy) is a slang term for a transvite prostitute in parts of France, Belgium, and Spain.

GREAT! I certainly dont interpret it that way!

Song Meaning 2)

I believe that there is a famous story of a time he was in South Africa. He was in a taxi and drove past a park where he saw some women dancing. He commented on them to the driver who told them they were called Dancing Nancies, or in other words, prostitutes. So a lot is told when he says things like "could I have been a parking lot attendant, could I have been a millionaire, could I have been anyone other than me" after saying, "if I took a left turn instead of a right." In other words he's saying that we all make choices, we all have decisions to make every day. These seemingly unimportant decisions change everything that will follow in your ENTIRE life. So he is saying, maybe if he had turned left instead of right he would have never become a famous musician, maybe he would be a prositute.

OK I like the explanation... if I wasnt an accountant could I have been.... ??

Here are the lyrics,go to a CD shop and have a listen.. I hope it moves you.....whatever the reason behind the lyrics were...

Could I have been A parking lot attendant

Could I have beenA millionaire in bel air

Could I have beenLost somewhere in paris

Could I have beenYour little brother

Could I have been anyone other than me

Could I have been oh, anyone other than me

Could I have been anyone

He stands touch his hair his shoes untied

Tongue gaping stare

Could I have been a magnet for money

Could I have been anyone other than me

Twenty three Im so tired of life

Such a shame to throw it all away

The images grow darker still

Could I have been anyone other then me?

Then I look up at the sky

My mouth is open wide, like and taste

Whats the use in worrying, whats the use in hurrying

Turn turn we almost become dizzy

I am who I am who I am well who am I

Requesting some enlightenment

Could I have been anyone other than me?

And then I'll sing and dance and

Ill play for you tonight

The thrill of it all

Dark clouds may hang on me sometimes

But I'll work it out

And then I

Falling out of a world of lies

Could I have been dancing nancy

Dancing nancy

Could I have been anyone other than me?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great song! Just got the idea to look up what the song meant. Thx..